New Mexican Chicken Enchiladas with Mi Abuelo™ Green Chile Peppers
These chicken enchiladas are made with shredded chicken, Mi Abuleo™ Flame-Roasted Organic Green Chiles and plenty of cheese, all rolled up in corn tortillas and smothered with green chile sauce. This enchilada recipe is sure to become a family favorite!
You’ll find that making enchiladas from scratch at home is actually quite easy to do, especially using Mi Abuelos Chiles. These green chicken enchiladas taste like they came from a New Mexican restaurant.
Prep: 10 Minutes
Cook: 10 Minutes
Ingredients for the Chicken and Sauce:
• 1 (3½ lb.) Chicken, with the neck, but giblets removed
• 1 Small carrot (3 oz.)
• 1 large white onion (10 oz.)
• 1⁄2 Teaspoon cumin seed
• 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
• 2 Cups diced white onion
• 4 Garlic cloves, minced
• 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 3 Cups Mi Abuelo™ Flame-Roasted Green Organic Chile Peppers, skins peeled and chopped
• 6 Cups hot chicken broth (see below)
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1⁄4 Teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
• 12 Soft corn tortillas Enchiladas and Garnish:
• 2½ Cups (7 oz.) Oaxacan or Monterey Jack cheese, or a mix, grated.
• 2 Cups (10 oz.) queso fresco, crumbled
• 4 Scallions, thinly sliced (3/4 cup)
• 1 Cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves and tender stems (from about 1 bunch)
• Crema, crème fraîche, or sour cream
Instructions For Making chicken:
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, add the chicken, chicken neck and enough water just to cover. Add the carrot, onion, and garlic cloves and bring to a simmer. Let simmer until the meat is cooked through and the broth is flavorful, about 40 minutes.
2. Next strain, reserving both the broth and the chicken.
3. Set chicken aside until cool enough to handle. Shred the meat and discard the bones and skin. You should end up with approximately 4 cups of meat. Set aside. Reserve 6 cups of broth for making the sauce, plus 2 cups more for softening tortillas.
Instructions For Making Sauce:
1. In a small, dry skillet over medium-high heat, add the cumin. Cook, stirring or shaking the pan occasionally, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Remove, then finely grind.
2. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Once hot, add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and barely colored, about 8 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic and let cook 1 minute, then sprinkle the flour into the pan and stir to incorporate. Add the chiles.
3. Season generously with salt and lightly with black pepper, then add the cumin and oregano; stir well. Gradually whisk in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes (sauce should thicken slightly). Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed, then set aside.
Cook’s Tip: Sauce and chicken can be prepared up to 1-day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
Instructions For Making Enchiladas:
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F. Ladle 1½ cups of the sauce into a standard 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish. Heat the remaining chicken broth.
2. Steam tortillas until softened slightly so they can be rolled without breaking, dip them very briefly in the hot broth, or (Traditionally, tortillas are lightly fried to soften.)
3. Working one at a time, distribute about 3 tablespoons of the shredded chicken down the center of each tortilla. Roll the tortilla loosely into a cigar shape to cover the filling, then transfer seam side down to the prepared baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and chicken, placing the enchiladas snugly side by side. Ladle the remaining sauce over the top to coat generously.
4. Sprinkle the cheese generously on top of the sauce, cover with foil and bake until the enchiladas are heated through and the sauce is beginning to bubble, about 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the top is browned and bubbling, 15-20 minutes more.
5. Remove the enchiladas and sprinkle with the queso fresco, scallions, and cilantro.
6. Divide among 6 individual plates and drizzle or dollop each portion generously with crema or sour cream. Garnish with tomato and parsley.
New Mexican Chicken Enchiladas with Mi Abuelo™ Green Chile Peppers Recipe
New Mexican Chicken Enchiladas with Mi Abuelo™ Green Chile Peppers Printable PDF
Classic Green Chile Rellenos with Mi Abuelo™ Green Chile Peppers
This classic meal is made totally authentic with “New Mexican Mi Abuelo Chiles.”
Chiles Rellenos, Spanish for “stuffed peppers,” is a Mexican dish made of roasted chiles stuffed with cheese, dipped in an egg batter and fried until golden, with a filling consisting of only cheese.
(A perfect meal for vegetarians or people who just love cheesy chiles!)
Prep: 20 Minutes
Cook: 20 Minutes
• 8 Mi Abuelo Organic Chile Peppers (Approx. 1-14 oz. package)
• 8 Ounce block of Asadero Cheese (Cut in 1/2” x 1/2” x 3” strips)
• 2 Large eggs
• ¾ Cup of flour
• 1 Teaspoon Salt
• 1 Teaspoon Pepper
• 1 Cup of Olive oil
Cook’s Tip: A typical variation includes adding refried beans prior to rolling in warm tortillas.
Cook’s Tip: Stuffing can include ground beef, pork, turkey, potato, or cheese, but can also include sweet ingredients such as raisins and nuts.
1. Rinse roasted chile under cold water to peel off the skins, leave the stems on to aid in handling while frying. Cut a 3/4” lengthwise slit just below the stem of each pepper. Slide 2 strips of Asadero cheese into the slits previously cut (strips of onions alongside cheese are optional). If the chile tears while stuffing just fold the chile back over itself to conceal the cheese. Set aside on paper towel covered plate to drain.
2. Spread out ¾ cup of flour mixed with 1/2 teaspoon. Salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper across a plate or cutting board. Roll each stuffed chile to completely coat with the flour mixture. Shake off any excess flour from chile and set aside on a plate or cutting board.
3. Heat a 10” frying pan filled to a depth of ¼” with olive oil over medium high heat.
4. Separate yolks from egg whites, beat yolks with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. set aside to use later. In a second bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until the whites form stiff peaks. Fold in egg yolks with salt and pepper.
5. Test the heat of the oil by dripping a drop of egg mixture into it. If the oil is hot enough it will bubble and float to the top of the oil, if it sinks and does not bubble adjust the heat higher if the heat is too hot the oil will splatter out of the pan (turn down accordingly.)
6. Take each chile and dredge them one at a time in the egg mixture. Immediately transfer each chile from the egg mixture to the hot oil and cook until golden brown, turning once. Remove golden brown rellenos to drain on paper towel covered plate.
Allow to cool till warm and serve rolled in warm flour tortillas.
Classic Green Chile Rellenos with Mi Abuelo™ Green Chile Peppers Recipe
Classic Green Chile Rellenos with Mi Abuelo™ Green Chile Peppers Printable PDF
Whether you’re seeking to create a new recipe or spice up an old one, Mi Abuelo™ Flame-Roasted Organic Chili Peppers can help you obtain the best flavors from the meals you prepare.
You’ve (presumably!) been thinking about delicious Mexican cuisine this whole week and wanting to try chile peppers—we’ve got you. One of the highlights of Mexican cuisine is its diversity by using chile peppers.
Explore a spectrum of flavorful trends through a step-by-step approach with recipes recreating authentic flavors of Mexican cuisine in your home kitchen. Adjust the amount of chile spiciness in the recipe according to your own heat index.
New Mexican Grande Chickpea Pancakes with Mi Abuelo™ Green Chile Peppers
This dense and filling savory New Mexican-style chickpea pancake is packed with protein and fiber. As a huge breakfast pancake, it’s about the size of a 10-inch skillet! Be sure to use an extra-large round plate because it won’t fit on a regular round plate. It’s a quick and spicy breakfast that’s tasty and takes only 10 minutes to whisk together the ingredients and then another 10 minutes or so to cook.
Prep: 10 Minutes
Cook: 10 Minutes
Servings: 1 Large or 2 Small Pancakes
• 1 Green onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
• 1/4 – 1/2 Cup Mi Abuelo™ Green or Red Chiles, chopped
• 1/2 Cup chickpea flour (also known as garbanzo flour)
• 1/4 Teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 Cup + 2 tablespoons water
• 1/4 Teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/4 Teaspoon fine grain sea salt
• 1/8 Teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
• Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
Cook’s Tip: Chickpea flour makes this pancake very dense and filling top with avocado, hummus, red pepper flakes, and salsa.
Cook’s Tip: To prevent the pancake from sticking to the skillet, be sure to spray the skillet liberally with olive oil before pouring on the batter.
1. Prepare the vegetables and set aside. Preheat a 10-inch skillet over medium heat.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, garlic powder, salt, pepper, baking powder, and optional red pepper flakes.
3. Add the water and whisk well until no clumps remain. I like to whisk it for a good 15 seconds to create lots of air bubbles in the batter.
4. Stir in the chopped green onion and chile peppers.
5. If making one large pancake pour on all of the batter (if making two, use half at a time). Quickly spread batter out all over the pan. Cook for about 5-6 minutes on one side until you can easily slide a pancake spatula under the pancake and it’s firm enough not to break when flipping. Flip pancake carefully and cook for another 5 minutes, until lightly golden.
Cook’s Tip: Make sure you cook all the way through since this pancake takes much longer to cook compared to regular pancakes.
Cook’s Tip: Serve on a large plate and top with desired toppings. Leftovers can be wrapped up and placed in the fridge. Reheat on a skillet until warmed throughout.
Serving Size 1 of 2 small pancakes | Calories 100 calories | Total Fat 1.5 grams
Saturated Fat 0 grams | Sodium 270 milligrams | Total Carbohydrates 15 grams
Fiber 3 grams | Sugar 4 grams | Protein 5 grams
* Nutrition data is approximate and is for informational purposes only.
New Mexican Grande Chickpea Pancakes with Mi Abuelo™ Green Chile Peppers Recipe
New Mexican Grande Chickpea Pancakes with Mi Abuelo Green Chile Peppers Printable PDF